Thursday, February 15, 2007

Isn't it ironic?

Yesterday was February 14th. Also it was Valentine's Day.

I know Muslims who do not see the harm in engaging in the card-chocolate-rose giving festivities. But let's face it - it has nothing to do w/ Islam and I don't need to cite a source when I say that the Prophet pbuh distinctly advised that we only celebrate the two eids.

If you are Muslim and think it is okay to celebrate it - i will not hit you with my Kaffir Stick. I don't have one, but I'm sure one of my Twisted Sisters could loan me one... so watch out!!!!!

I don't celebrate Valentine's Day for the following reasons:

1 - You should express your love to someone on a daily basis. Not go overboard for one day. If you are a crappy boy/girlfriend or spouse, one day of wining and dining will not make up for the rest of the crap you put your partner thru.

2 - It is way too commercialized. Just like all the other holidays here. Seriously - if you don't get that collector's valentine whatever from wherever, or you only get a single rose and not a bouquet of one dozen.. is it really the end of the world?

3 - As liberal as I may sound sometimes(if you read all my deleted posts), I only actively celebrate the two eids. i will attend b-day parties and christmas with my non-muslim family, but I don't participate. I sit, eat, chat and then leave. No hurt feelings and I don't feel like that angel on my left shoulder is writing down yet another bad deed.

4 - the whole historical ties of paganism mixing w/ christianity as more of a political ploy also is in my mind as well but it is late and i don't feel like going into detail. I wrote a paper on it in college and I'll find it and post it here...



With that said, the only people to wish me a happy v-day were muslims. which made me giggle.

2 comments:

J Lev said...

Corazon de melon, de melon, de melon
de sandia,
y chicharron,
Que crees?
se me perdio mi calzon

jilbabble said...

ha ha ha ha... love it....